Thursday, March 30, 2017

2017 Technology and Quilting Quilt Show


Let's face it technology has changed a lot in our lives.  Some changes are for the better and others many of us can live without.  It has greatly impacted the sewing and quilting industry.  Our machines are computerized, we share design files and patterns electronically, and even print our own fabric using our home computers.  Sometimes it may seem difficult to keep up with all this changing technology.

I like to look at it as opportunities to express my creativity differently.  One way in which I use technology to create quilts is to create photo transferred quilts with my home computer.  Digital cameras have opened up a love for photography that I had never been able to explore before, due to the cost of developing the film.  Now I can be selective, and only print what I really want to work with.

I love being able to take photos and edit them in Photoshop to create a unique and appealing piece.  Then using my inkjet printer, I create the fabric that becomes a focal point of my wall hangings.  Without technology, this would not be possible.


That being said, the Daniel Boone Regional Library in Columbia, MO is currently hosting a Technology and Quilting Quilt Show through April 15th.  I am honored to say that ten of my photo transferred quilts were selected to be on displayed at this show.  In addition to photo transferred techniques, computerize embroidery, computerized applique, and computerized and free-motion long-arm quilted quilts are on display.



On Saturday, April 1, 2017, from 1:30- 2:30 pm, at the Daniel Boone Regional Library in Columbia, MO, there will be a special presentation about this exhibit.   Mindy Smith, the curator of the library's annual quilt exhibit, will talk about the history of computer technology in quilt design and stitching, including how the innovative Statler Stitcher, a computerized long-arm quilting machine invented by Columbia resident Paul Statler, has played a role. Mr. Statler will tell us how he started and show a video of how his machine works. You’ll also find out how the technology behind production quilting has made the Quilts of Valor project feasible. Mindy will illustrate the tremendous variety of techniques used in computerized design and stitching with a quilt trunk show.

They used my Bronze Iris in the show's program!
After this presentation, there will be a tour of the quilts, and it will start in the lobby of the library.  I want express thanks to the Daniel Boone Regional Library Foundation for funding this event.

Here is a sneak peak!








This is a great opportunity for you to see how technology has influenced the industry. Hoping to see you on Saturday, Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment